When they are born, we, the parents, need to be with adults from time to time, to prevent our speech turning completely into baby’s gaga gugu. Later, when they are older, we have to find places for them to burn the energy and to spend times with their peers. In an offline city like Geneva, finding playgroups, classes, course, is not an easy task. This list will help you out.
(♥ = tested AND loved by Milk)
- ♥ École des Parents – They deserve more than just a number on the list. This is a great institution and you should definitely mark them as important. Psychologists, pedagogues, psychomotricity, lectures, meetings, and of course courses and playgroups (gym, cirque en famille, guitar lessons, babywearing, baby massage, massage for older kids, and more).
Every Tuesday in Charmille (in the “99”) they hold a FREE OF CHARGE playgroup (for kids aged 0-4), that I can personally recommend: simple activities for kids, and professional pedagogue to talk to the parents. (Check out my Gratis in Geneva post for more free activities)
- Kids Up, (Meyrin). A brand new Kids’ gym in Geneva.
- Bulle d’aire (Grand Saconnex, Carouge, Petit-Saconnex (Villa Dutoit), Plan les Ouates, Nyon). One of the most popular music activities for kids. Handicapped children welcomed.
- BG World (CM La Praille). Baby classes, kids’ courses, music, dance, gym.
- ♥ Espace Musical (Eaux-Vives, Satigny). Music classes for babies and older kids. Handicapped children welcomed.
- Atelier Polyglotte (Gland). Language courses for big kids, and playgroups for the little ones.
- Maman cherche Maman (Eaux Vives, Plainpalais). It is a friendly association that organizes parenting meetings. You can join them each Friday from 3 pm-5 pm at Villa Freundler (4 Place St-Francois – 1205 GE).
- Adult-childcare (Chatelaine). A ludotheques with professionals to answer your parenting questions. Check page 13 of this booklet for more details.
- Institut Jaques-Dalcroze (Eaux-Vives/Terrasierre). To my knowledge, the best music and dance school in Geneva.
- La Petite Decouverte (Onex). Free of charge. A place for kids to play and parents to talk, exchange experiences, share information and support each other. Also “petite enfance” professionals are there if you need them.
- Gym Enfants (Onex). Kid-parents classes for 2-5 yo, “gym enfantine” for older children, as well as other courses.
- Gym Parents-Enfants exists in almost every district and commune: check the local school or mairie for more information. Here is info for ♥Vernier Village (bottom of page 19), and here’s one for Avanchet (page 20).
- Bubbles Kids Sports Club (Eaux Vives). Sports, gymnastic, dance, hip hop parent/enfants.
- Cerf Volante (Plainpalais). An Adult-Childcare, a ludotheque kind-of-place but nor entirely. Like every Adult-Childcare centre, there are childhood professionals at your disposal, to help with problems, doubts, and other questions. (You’ll find many English-speaking parents going there regularly).
- ♥ La Forêt Enchantée. An amazing association founded by wonderful people! They organize various kinds of events and are waiting for you to join!
- Messy Magic a playgroup for children and their caregivers from 4 months until 3 years old. They take place in Grand Lancy every Wednesday at 2:00 pm. Messy Play stimulates and develops all the senses of the child during the first months and years of their lives. Letting children get “messy” is part of their natural development, they discover and learn about their surroundings using all of their senses. Messy Play also enhances their social skills, fine motor skills, spatial awareness, independence, autonomy and more.
- ♥ Gymboree (Grand-Saconnex, Aubonne). Dance, art, baby gym, family classes, school skills and lots, lots, lots of bubbles!
- Inter Soccer (Vessy, Founex, Versoix, Gland). Football for kids as young as 3!
- Music Together (Petit-Lancy, Paquis, Eaux-Vives, Bernex, Plainpalais, Chene-Bourg, Carouge, Versoix). A popular franchised music classes for kids (page does not indicate kids’ age)
- Geneva International Playgroup (Grand Saconnex).
- Kiddie Club (route de Chene 66). Playgroup for kids aged 8 months – 3,5y.
- PLP Geneva (Ferney Voltaire). Playgroup and Literacy Program.
- Kids English World (Cartigny). English courses for 2-10 year olds.
- English Library, storytime (Paquis).
- Createliers (Eaux-Vives). Painting for small ones, while for older children: wood crafts, pottery, sewing, and more.
Please let me know if there is anything to add!
And hold on tight, more lists to come, so be sure to follow Parentville on Facebook!