Annoyingly, most of the times children get sick, is at night, or during the school holidays. Do you know where to go when it happens? Which pediatric emergency in Geneva can take you in? What qualifies as an emergency anyway?
When it comes to night-time/evening and holidays care, Geneva has quite a lot of options. But it’s important to know how to use them. Some are walk-in emergency wards of hospitals, others require an appointment.
if you’re not sure whether your child requires an urgent medical help, a brilliant app Info Kids by HUG can help you out (in French only). You can read all about it in this article on Parentville.
The life-threatening emergencies require a call for an ambulance over at 144 or 112. For intoxication cases help, dial 145.
Not every emergency requires an ambulance though. Where to go then?
- HUG Urgences Pediatrique. The biggest, and the best equipped emergency ward in Geneva. But because of the overload parents are asked to use it only when really in need, when urgent. Opened 7/7, 24/7. Their website is available in English, too.
- Grangettes – though it is a private clinic, its emergency ward for children will accept holders of every type of insurance. Opened all week long, from 9 am till 10 pm. Check out all the necessary information here on their website.
In these places pediatricians are available for emergency consultation. Available during the week from 6pm till 10 pm, and on weekends from 8 am till 10pm.To get help in these places call as soon as you can to schedule an appointment. They can be all reached under the same telephone number: 0844 022 022.
- Centre médico-chirurgical des Eaux-Vives. To schedule an appointment, you can also call 0227 360 611, or book online here.
Home visits 24/7.
If you want to help your child asap, but the case doesn’t require an urgent medical intervention, you can also ask for a home visit with one of the 2 companies. If they think it’s needed they will transfer your call directly to the ambulance dispatch, or tell you to go to the hospital.
- Geneve Medecins: for website and phone numbers please click here.
- SOS Medecins: follow this link to reach their website.
Sometimes, all you need is a bottle of over-the-counter medicine to control your child’s fever, or an OR solution, to hydrate him after a bad vomiting series.
- There are 2 pharmacies at the airport opened till 9 pm daily. One is located in the CFF station, the other on the departure level.
- The pharmacy on the main train station, is opened every day till 11 pm. Click here for details.
- Every day 2 pharmacies are opened in Geneva 24/7, but it is not always the same pharmacy. You can check the « pharamcie de garde » for each day on this website.
Pregnant in Geneva, and now what?
This guide is filled with information for all of you who found themselves pregnant in Geneva and are unsure of what needs to be done, when, or where.
Apart from using Parentville, Facebook, and Google, what are your online resources for finding places to go, brands to check out, and events to attend? You might be surprise but following certain parents on Instagram might give your more insight on the city, than any other online source!
Instagram can definitely take some getting used to. The biggest hurdle which most people face at some point is having a limited number of followers. This can be frustrating as it means that your posts will get fewer engagements (likes, comments etc.) and won’t be getting the appreciation they deserve! Some people choose to take the long route and authentically grow their follower count, whilst others take a shortcut and use a growth tool like Kicksta (although you might want to read the review at https://platypusreviews.com/kicksta/ before committing to that). However, arguably the most frustrating thing when starting on Instagram is having no clue who to follow. You don’t want to follow any old account, as you want to see posts which will actually interest you and help you. So here below is a list of Instagramers essential for parents in Geneva. All you need is an Instagram account, and click « follow » at the every account you want to follow. You don’t need to post any pictures yourself (though once you start, it gets addictive).
Here they are:
Instagram account of probably the most informative French-speaking blogger for families in the region. It’s an endless source of information, ideas, and interviews with fascinating locals.
An incredibly positive and optimistic mom of 3. Observing their journey is a joy, and her daughter’s outfits are the sweetest!
A restaurant quality label: allows you to find restaurants with the infrastructure that suits every family
Everything nature, montessori, bio: « born to be green! »
Mom of 3 sharing pretty pics of her everyday life.
A lot of inspiration for parents and children alike!
A full of ideas mom of a sweet boy, and a curious, passionate blogger.
an instagram account of a inspirational blogger: food, shopping, parenting
Behind the scenes, personal side of Parentville, kids friendly places and events, pictures of the city
Stunning pictures of a certain fairy and Geneva (especially of the architectural pearl of the city – le Lignon)
Geneva, travel destinations, kids activities.
everything about the bikes, presenting many ways to transport kids with the bike.
Hope to see you soon on Instagram, and in the meantime remember to leave your email here and never miss a post!